This is a quick and simple sweet chutney, which tastes the best with some crispy dosa or soft idli. You also don’t need to add any oil for cooking this chutney as mashed potatoes add enough moisture.
Preparation time- 5 min
Cooking time- 20 min
- Pot for boiling
- Pan for tempering
- Spice Grinder
- Potato Masher
- 2-3 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- Salt for taste
- 4 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 Dried Red Chilli (Kashmiri)
- 2 Peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Split Urad Dal
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- Soak the Tamarind in boiled water and leave aside.
- Peel the skin of Sweet Potatoes and cut them into cubes. Boil till they are soft and mash them with the Potato Masher.
- In the meantime, add to the pan 4 tbsp, Channa Dal, Red Chilli, 2 Peppercorns, 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds and temper on a medium to high heat till the Channa Dal becomes golden brown, turn off the heat and add 1/3 tsp Asafoetida and stir everything till it slightly browns up.
- Add the tempered spices into the Spice Grinder and grind to a powder form.
- Add the powder to the mashed Sweet Potatoe and mix together.
- Add salt to taste and tamarind juice and cook the chutney on a low to medium heat for about 5 min.
- Add 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds and 1/2 tsp Split Urad Dal to the pan and temper till the the seeds start to splutter and dal turns golden. Add to the chutney and stir.